Our eyes’ ability to absorb light is what allows us to see. The sun provides most of that light, but the sun may also be harmful to human vision. When we expose our eyes to too much light, they can suffer both long-term and short-term harm.
You don’t have to avoid going outside to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays emitted by the sun. With the help of the right sunglasses and shades, you can keep your eyes from experiencing negative effects.
Why do your eyes need sun protection?
Long-term UV light exposure has been related to the development of serious eye problems. Wearing sunglasses minimises the quantity of UV radiation that enters your eyes while also preventing glare and reflection of objects. It also lowers the chances of getting cataracts later in life.
UV radiation exposure has been linked to several serious eye diseases. UV rays can have harmful effects on the eyelid, cornea, lens, and retina. In order to protect yourself from these harmful rays, you should wear sunglasses that block out 100% of UV rays. You may also need to use a special filter over your computer screen to prevent these rays from entering your eyes.
What factors should I consider before purchasing sunglasses?
Protection – Sunglasses with 100% UV protection are recommended for use in direct sunlight. These lenses shield the eyes from UV radiation, which can cause sunburn, wrinkles, and premature ageing.
Comfort – When shopping for sunglasses, seek frames that fit comfortably and securely around your face, as well as arms that are long enough to protect your ears. Check that your lenses are comfy and do not bother your eyes.
Lens Colour – The colour of the lenses is one of the most important aspects of sunglasses. While some tints are advised for specific activities, lens colour is largely a matter of personal preference and has little impact on how well the sunglasses protect your eyes from UV radiation.
Style – Select frames that suit your facial characteristics and match your style. Don’t overlook the importance of colour!
Sunglasses design and construction
High-quality sunglasses frames are built of long-lasting, readily available materials. Lightweight plastic frames should not slide down your face and are suitable for a variety of lenses. Wire-rimmed sunglasses look great with metal frames.
An optometrist will do a complete eye exam to decide which lenses are best for you.
Sunglasses with a prescription
If you don’t have 20/20 vision, prescription sunglasses provide a fashionable alternative that combines vision correction with sun protection.
Sunglasses without a prescription
If you do not require vision correction, you may be a candidate for non-prescription sunglasses, which do not correct your vision.
- One or more special-purpose coatings are commonly found on sunglass lenses. Adding additional coatings frequently raises the price of eyewear.
- UV coating – UV coating is commonly seen on glass and plastic lenses. This additional layer prevents the sun’s harmful rays from reaching your eyes.
- This coating is applied to the rear of the sunglasses. The coating stops light from reflecting off the rear side of the lenses when it strikes your face.
- Scratch-resistant coating – A scratch-resistant coating is intended to protect sensitive sunglass lenses from damage. This coating is applied to the lenses on both sides.
How to Take Care of Your Sunglasses
- Keep your sunglasses clean, protected, and in proper maintenance to ensure they last for many years.
- Rinse them under running water to remove any dust.
- Use a clean, lint-free towel to dry the sunglasses.
- Remove any leftover smudges with a clean microfiber cloth.
Sunglasses let you see better on a sunny day. The correct ones can keep your eyes safe for years, while the wrong ones can cause more harm than good. Choose the top optical store near you to obtain excellent sunglasses for you.
City Optik has a wide range of stylish frames in their Optical Outlet in Trivandrum. With many more Optical Stores in Palakkad, Tirur, Calicut and Thalassery, City Optik is the best option among optical retailers in Kerala. Take good care of your eyes with City Optik!